Each year, Saint Peter’s Prep runs a number of week-long Christian Service summer immersion trips. Students and faculty who participate in these trips speak of engaging and eye-opening experiences. These trips are a chance for Prep students to leave their comfort zones behind for a week and live in solidarity with people who are poor and marginalized.
Immersion Programs: Summer 2022
- Romero Center (Camden, NJ): Each summer, Prep students travel to Camden, NJ to spend a week at the Romero Center. Students serve at agencies around Camden and Philadelphia and examine issues of injustice. Participants live in community with volunteers from other schools, and are afforded opportunities for education and reflection each evening. June 26-July 1, 2022.
- JusticeworX Trenton: On JusticeworX, high school students spend a week of their summer in an overnight setting exploring the Gospel call to build a more just world, participating in dynamic prayer services, building community with fellow participants and volunteering in the community. Students return home prepared and inspired to make service and justice central components of their lives. June 26-July 1, 2022.
- Appalachian Institute, Wheeling, WV: This program introduces participants to the history and culture of the Appalachian region, while examining issues of poverty and environmental justice. Students participate in various service projects in the Wheeling region. July 10-16, 2022.
- Nazareth Farm, Center Point, WV: Nazareth Farm is a Catholic community in rural West Virginia that transforms lives through a service-retreat experience. They are devoted to living out the Gospel message through the cornerstones of community, simplicity, prayer, and service. They serve alongside their neighbors to address substandard housing by providing home repair. They celebrate the richness of Appalachia and experience God by building relationships between volunteers and the local community. July 17-23, 2022.
- WV Ministry of Advocacy & Workcamps (WVMAW), Gilbert, WV. WVMAW is a non-profit organization that was created to help WV residents whose homes have been destroyed by natural disaster, particularly flooding. Our work includes home repair and reconstruction, playground restoration, and parks cleanup. We spend our time out of service with the people of the Gilbert community. July 24-30, 2022.