As we approach the holiday season, we are mindful that food security is a challenge for individuals and families. During this time, the demand increases for food pantries, shelters and community centers. How can we help?
Each Thanksgiving season, Jesuit high schools along the east coast participate in the Great Ignatian Challenge! The G.I.C is an annual holiday food drive competition intended to raise the students’ awareness of hunger and inspire them to take action by working to fill their local food banks, pantries, and community centers with tens of thousands of pounds of much-needed provisions. This friendly but spirited competition will run from October 26th through November 23rd for St. Peter’s Prep.
Ways to Donate
- Online Shop– Visit our online shop via You Give Goods.
- All pricing includes shipping and handling directly to our participating organizations.
- Your purchase through YouGiveGoods is tax-deductible. You will be sent a tax receipt from the YouGiveGoods Foundation via email for the donated goods.
- Donation Bins– Bins will be stationed in our main lobby for daily drop offs. We will accept all non-perishable items.
- If you wish to donate turkeys, please hold off until 11/4 so we can coordinate a bulk drop off to The Campus Kitchen of SPU.
- Please assure that all donated food is not expired.
- All donations should be properly bagged and labeled; Student/ Person Full Name, Class Year/ Department
All donations will be forwarded to the following organizations:
- The Campus Kitchen of SPU– Jersey City, NJ
- Ask- 100 turkeys plus additional items on Wishlist via You Give Goods by 11/4
- St. Matthew’s Lutheran Church’s Food Pantry– Jersey City, NJ
- Ask- Please fill our pantry with numerous items from our Wishlist via You Give Goods by 11/23
Fordham Prep alum, Jim Rowen, has once again personally pledged funds to support the participating schools’ efforts. Inspired by the commitment to social justice and service to the community that lies at the heart of Jesuit education, Mr. Rowen has pledged $655,000 this year! 22 schools will compete in this tiered award competition to see which school will collect the most pounds of food per student.
First Place – $60,000
2 Second Place – $50,000 x 2 =$100,000
2 Third Place – $40,000 x 2 = $80,000
4 Fourth Place – $30,000 x 4 =$120,000
4 Fifth Place – $20,000 x 4 = $80,000
9 Runners Up – $15,000 x 9 = $135,000
Additionally, prizes for Best PR and Highest Year Over Year will be awarded! For our school to be eligible for the Highest Year Over Year Increase Award, we must achieve a goal of collecting 15 pounds per student.
4 Prizes (Best PR/Biggest Increase) – $20,000 x 4 = $80,000
All prizes will be equally divided to help fund operating financial assistance and our scholarship endowments!
Our Past Results
- 2019– 15,035 pounds – 1st Place Finish !
- 2020– 7,505 pounds
- 2021– 6,049 pounds
- 20,000 pounds!
- Our goal should put our school in great standing for a prize
- 15 pounds donated per student!
- Our decline was due to the pandemic. We expect a rise in donated pounds making us eligible for the biggest increase prize!
We are in a great place to make this Thanksgiving holiday truly special for a large number of families in the Hudson County area. Let’s make this G.I.C. one to remember!
Please contact Mr. Keith J. Cummings [CummingsK@spprep.org] with all questions, concerns, requests or comments, as we aim to make this a seamless Great Ignatian Challenge!
The Campus Ministry Department