The Vice President for Finance of Saint Peter’s Preparatory School, a key executive officer reporting to the president of the school, is responsible for the business, financial, investment, and the human resources functions of the school. The position requires active leadership, interaction and teamwork with the school’s president, principal, advancement office, operations and maintenance department, faculty, staff, parents, and board of trustees. The VP for Finance provides primary support to the trustees’ committees for Finance, Audit, and Investment.
The VP for Finance should be a strategic and critical business thinker, and have a record of successful managerial leadership. He or she should have experience in a broad range of complex financial matters, including accounting, cash management and liquidity planning, tax, and budgeting. He or she should have experience in project development and management, in overseeing investment managers, and in managing and negotiating benefits. In addition to a strong financial background, the VP for Finance should demonstrate a proven ability to manage staff and external resources, partner with other senior school managers, and communicate with multiple constituencies inside and outside of the organization.
The VP for Finance should have 15+ years experience in a financial and business leadership position. A bachelor’s degree is required, with an M.B.A. and/or a master’s degree in a related field and/or a CPA strongly preferred. Knowledge of and experience with Microsoft Office and Blackbaud’s Financial Edge software packages is preferred. In addition, the VP for Finance should have an understanding of, experience in, and commitment to, the central mission of a Jesuit and Catholic school.
- Oversees the creation, administration, and reporting of the operating budget, working with the School’s administrative leadership and Board of Trustees
- Oversees accounting systems, budgeting, benchmarking, interim reporting, cash/liquidity management, and forecasting. Consolidates and prepares audit-ready GAAP compliant financial statements and notes; this includes investment portfolio administration. Teams with administration to report budget to Prep community via annual report, website, etc.
- Oversees the School’s endowment, executes endowment and investment policy, monitors and controls investment decisions with the Board’s Investment Committee; coordinates with the endowment consultants, investment managers, and custodian(s) ensuring effective endowment allocations, performance, and reporting.
- Collaborates with the School’s President on all Risk Management matters. Coordinates insurance coverages with the school’s insurance broker
- Manages all school “business office activities” – accounts payable, student billing, payroll, and benefits administration.
- Manages Financial Aid, in order to support the School’s admissions and tuition assistance/scholarship process through the oversight of all aspects of financial aid, including application solicitation, scoring and evaluation, and budgeting.
- Supervises the operations of the school’s campus shop through the oversight of retail operations including the review of sales results and the approval of purchases of products offered for sale.
- Oversees all HR function: employee relations, personnel policies and procedures including new hires, salaries and benefits administration, plan documents, compensation plans, payroll verification and backup, and staff evaluations and job descriptions.
- Manages multi-departmental projects: projects that change over time, with as many as five underway simultaneously. Examples include: building and construction financing and project management; compensation and benefits comparisons and benchmarking; property management, financing and rentals; and other facilities projects.
- Assists the President and Board Chair in staffing the following Trustee committees: Finance, Investments, and Audit. Organizes and coordinates agendas and meeting materials for those committees, and takes an active role in the financial aspects of other committees.
- Orchestrates a positive and pro-active public presence of the School, collaborating with other school administrators, faculty, parents and vendors
- Directly supervises the following positions:
- The Assistant VP for Finance (who supervises the Accounts Payable coordinator)
- The student billing and accounts receivable Manager
- The Financial Aid Manager
- The Campus Shop Manager
- In addition the Vice President coordinates the relationships with the finance department’s consulting resources.
- A high level of integrity.
- An excellent work ethic.
- A bias towards teamwork, collaboration, and consensus building.
- A strong commitment to and an understanding of the mission of Saint Peter’s Prep that shapes all decisions: financial, educational and ethical.
- A desire to engage and fully participate in the life of an energetic Jesuit school.
- A commitment to and interest in providing the President and Trustees with a strong strategic orientation which best serves the School’s goals.
- Patience, perspective, and a sense of humor.
- The ability to serve as a critical business thinker, capable of providing positive and proactive solutions to business issues within the Prep environment.
- Knowledge and experience in setting up effective financial controls, and proven financial modeling and forecasting skills.
- Effective negotiation skills in developing contracts with external vendors.
- Creativity, analytical skills, project development and management skills.
- An open and collaborative management style.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Tact, discretion, and superior listening skills.
- A strong background in financial management and modeling, investment and risk management, cash management and liquidity planning, support services administration, business services, and human resource and benefits administration.
- An effective financial and business manager, capable of working with and earning the respect of the faculty, administration, staff, parents and the Board of Trustees.
- Experience and ability to utilize technology to support the School.
- Ability to motivate and manage a committed staff, and to hire new talent when needed.
The VP for Finance reports directly to the President of Saint Peter’s Prep.