After continuing its trend of success last season, which included winning the Hudson County title for the third time in a row, the Saint Peter’s Prep cross country team is looking forward to leaving an even bigger mark this season. The team, which return five of their top seven runners, is ready to prove why they are one of the best teams in the state.
Head coach Chris Caulfield, last year’s Hudson County Coach of the Year, enters his fourth season as head coach and expects nothing but excellence from this year’s squad. Coach Caulfield is confident that this will be the best cross country team yet.
The Marauders come into the season ranked #3 in the NJ.com preseason top 20 and is excited to be back after being sidelined since March due to the Coronavirus.
Edwin Klanke, the second-best runner in the state, is back for his senior season and ready to leave a big mark. Klanke returns after a record-breaking junior season, which saw him break the 5k Hudson County and school record with a time of 15:19.9.
Rodolfo Sanchez, who placed second last fall at the county championships and fourth in the mile at the indoor Meet of Champions, will also play a big role for the Marauders. Sanchez battled injuries throughout the cross country season last fall and is looking to shock the state this season. Other key contributors will be Ethan Blackwelder, Jack Sipperly, Jack Glynn, Alex Schimmel, Patrick McCabe and Brandon Schimmel.
The first meet of the season will be at the St. Dominic Invitational in Jersey City on Friday. Below is the full schedule. Due to COVID-19, the season has been shortened and fan attendance will be very limited.
2020 Cross Country Schedule:
- Oct. 2-3: St. Dominic Invitational @ Lincoln Park (3:30 PM on Friday and 9:00 AM on Saturday)
- Oct. 10: Back to the Mountain Invitational @ Garret Mountain (9:00 AM
- Oct. 13: Jersey City Championships @ Lincoln Park (4:00 PM)
- Oct. 20: South Hudson Championships @ Bayonne Park (4:00 PM)
- Oct. 24: Garret Mountain Invitational @ Garret Mountain (9:00 AM)
- Oct. 30-31: Hudson County Championships @ Bayonne Park (4:30 PM on Friday and 12:00 PM on Saturday)
- Nov. 15: NJSIAA Sectional Championships @ Garret Mountain (2:25 PM)